Train and Tunnel
A super high speed train speeds through a tunnel at constant velocity.
The trajectories of both ends of the train and both ends of
the tunnel are shown in the space-time diagram.
Answer the following questions.
Click here to see the answer
- At which of the points labeled A through J in the
space-time diagram does the nose of the train emerge from the tunnel?
- At which point does the tail of the train enter the tunnel?
- At which point is the tail of the train when the
nose emerges from the tunnel in the train frame?
- At which point is the nose of the train when the
tail of the train enters the tunnel in the tunnel frame?
- Does the train fit inside the tunnel in the tunnel frame?
How about in the train frame?
Do the two frames agree on this point?
If not, explain why it is not a contradiction.